Undergraduate Ronald E. McNair Post Baccalaureate Achievement Program
Fiu scholarships scheme has created an opportunity for florida student to achieve there academic goals with littler no debt. The program finance merited students with funds to pay for there schools fees, tution etc .
The McNair Scholars Program a Federal TRiO program for doctoral students. The program aim at preparing students from low income, first-generation and traditionally underrepresented groups for doctoral studies.
However, Scholars from Mcnair programs engage in seminars and workshops on courses associated to graduate school preparation, complete a paid research experience under the watch of a mentor from the faculty. They also have the chance to showcase their research works at local, regional or national conferences.
The students benefit from the close watch of Mcnir program staff as they conclude with undergraduate requirements and graduate school applications.
Also Read : Apply for CouragetoGrow scholarships 2021
Who is Eligibility to Apply for Mcnair
The following requirements must be met for you to be eligible to apply for Mcnair scholarships.
- Applicanats must have plan to pursue a Ph.D. (professional degrees such as an MD, JD, MBA, PharmD, etc. are not eligible)
- Candidates must be a US citizen or have US permanent resident
- You Are and rising juniors or rising seniors by Summer 2021 term and have completed a minimum 60 credits of undergraduate courses by the time of the start of their Summer Research Project/Internship.
- Apllicants has a Major in a Science, Technology, Engineering, Psychology, or Math (STEM) degree program. STEM Minors considered with STEM-based research.
- Student must have at least a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.00 scale)
- Applicants will have to be a low earner, as the scheme is basically for low earners. This could be * (based on family size and taxable income) and first-generation college students (neither parent or legal guardian has a Bachelor’s degree) and /or a member of a group traditionally under-represented in higher education (e.g., Black/African- American, Latinx/Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander, or student with a disability).
*To find out the low-income guidelines established by the Department of Education go to: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/trio/incomelevels.html
McNair scholarship Benefits
- A stipend for Research Project/Internship in summer
- A chance to perform a research undr the watch of FIU Faculty mentor or at an external REU
- Financing of research project/internship material when necessary.
- Travel funding to McNair and discipline-specific conferences across the country
- Academic, personal, and career counseling
- Graduate school preparatory workshops and seminars
- GRE Fee Waiver (where applicable)
- Graduate School Application Fee Waivers (where applicable)
The Necessary Document must be Submited as PDFs
- Brief essay (1000 words or less) describing your interest in becoming a McNair Fellow and how it will assist you with the goal of obtaining a PhD.
- Research abstract (150 word max) describing the objectives and the hypothesized outcomes of the proposed study. Please include the title and the name of your faculty advisor/mentor (if available)
- A copy of unofficial transcripts from Florida International University and other schools attended
- One copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FASFA)
- One copy of your parent’s income tax return, if applicable
- A copy of your income tax return, if applicable
- Complete response to supplemental questions in AcademicWorks
- Two letters of Recommendation from faculty submitted in the AcademicWorks system. Recommendation Request for the McNair Program will only go out to your recommender once you fully submit your application. (Recommendation Letters due no later than January 30, 2021).
Priority will be given to early applicants
McNair ProgramDeadline : 06/15/2021
- Supplemental Questions
- Undergraduate Education
- Have you recieved a bachelors degree?
- If yes, are you pursuing a second undergraduate major?
- What is your expected graduation date? ( Month, Year)
- Graduate Studies
- If you intend to apply to graduate school, what is your expected date of matriculation? (Month, Year)
- What is your proposed field of graduate study?
- Upload a brief essay (1000 words or less) that includes: your motivation for becoming a McNair Fellow and why you should be selected, your academic and career interests, how will becoming a McNair fellow assist you with your goals, why you think obtaining a Ph.D. is essential to your interest and what you hope to contribute to society by obtaining a Ph.D. (All documents should be submitted as PDF)
- Upload an Abstract. Make sure to state your research topic, the name of your faculty advisor/mentor, and a research abstract. Be sure to include the objectives of the study and the hypothesized outcomes of the study in your abstract. (150 word max) (All documents should be submitted as PDF)
- Would you be interested in an out-of-state summer research experience? ( If you select “Yes” we will reach out, on your behalf, to partnering Universities from across the country to offer you an outside research experience over the Summer)
- Do you have previous research experience (not a requirement). If yes, please list the name of the faculty and the lab, in which you conducted the research
- Have you identified a mentor for the McNair summer research project? If you are a rising junior and choose No, the McNair program will assist you with identifying faculty mentor)
- Please enter the name and e-mail of your mentor.
- Please request two letters of recommendation for the McNair Program. Note- Recommendation requests will only go out to your recommender when you fully submit your application.
- Recommendation Letter 1.
- Recommendation letter 2.
- First-Generation College Student
- Are you considered to be a first-generation college student?
- What is your Father’s highest college degree earned?
- What is your Legal Guardian(s) highest degree earned?
- What is your Mother’s highest college degree earned?
- Upload a copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FASFA). (All documents should be submitted as PDF)
- Upload a copy of your parent’s income tax return, if applicable. (All documents should be submitted as PDF)
- Upload a copy of your income tax return, if applicable. (All documents should be submitted as PDF)
- With regard to financial aid, are you dependent or independent? Dependency status is determined as: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency
- Financial Aid Section A (dependent) (Must Attach Parent’s/Legal Guardian’s Last Year’s Tax Return)
- Did your parents file a federal income tax return for the previous year?
- If yes, what was your parent’s previous year taxable income?
- What is the size of your parent’s household, including yourself and/or spouse, and/or dependents?
- Financial Aid Section B (independent) (Must Attach Your Last Year’s Tax Return)
- Did you file a federal tax return for the previous year?
- If yes, what was your previous year’s taxable income?
- What is the size of your household, including yourself, and/or spouse, and/or other dependents?
- Upload a copy of your unofficial transcripts from Florida International University. (All documents should be submitted as PDF)
- Upload unofficial transcripts from Colleges/Universities that were attended prior to attending FIU (All documents should be submitted as PDF)